Initially, we tried using a hydraulic jack and fabricated nuts to pull the anchor shafts up and loosen the anchor nuts. However, this proved to be too slow, so we switched to flame cutting to remove the nuts. We then disconnected the press from the electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems. After removing the anchor nuts, the anchor shafts (four per press) were lowered into the basement and then the press was lifted apart. The process began with the removal of the crown, followed by the lifting of the ram, the press feet, the anchor shafts, the tool clamping table and finally the lower body. This task required a lengthy operation to dismantle the press to prepare it for lifting. The presses were lifted apart as previously agreed with the customer. As part of the contract we also dismantled and removed five hydraulic systems from a 4-m deep tunnel under the presses. During the project we used our gantry hydraulic lifting system to move the crowns and rams, while overhead cranes were used to move the other machine elements. The parts of the press were lifted onto the transport vehicle by our 130-tonne and 220-tonne truck cranes. The dismantling and flame-cutting work was carried out by subcontractors. In order to meet the agreed schedule and completion date, our experienced project manager supervised and co-ordinated the work on site, continuously liaising with the customer. The project was completed on time.